I was trawling the Internet recently searching for a way to remove a grease spot from a favorite shirt of mine. How it got there, well, I blame a faulty fork and not my clumsy mouth. Anyway, time and again sites would reference a can of Coca-Cola as a way to remove the grease spot. I tried it, cynical but hopeful, and it worked. Not 100%, but it was way better than before. It did leave me wondering, are there other uses for Coca-Cola? It turns out there are a lot more.
I haven’t had a chance to test all of these out, but the ones I have listed here are the uses I found turning up time and again; not just on the web, but in books and magazines. If you have any more, feel free to share. And by the way, I’m no Coca-Cola advocate, I’m sure Pepsi or even store-brand would work just as well (unless that secret Coke ingredient is behind all of this…but I doubt it).
Step 1: Clean a Toilet Bowl
- Pour Coke into the bowl. Pour it around the rim so it flows over the stains around the inside of the bowl.
- Let it sit for at least and hour. The acids in the Coke will break down the stains.
- (Optional) Use a brush to scrub the toilet bowl.
- Flush the toilet. Most of the stains should have been dissolved by the phosphoric acid in the Coke.
Step 2: Make BBQ Sauce
1 cup Coca-Cola
1 cup ketchup
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon liquid smoke
1/4 cup A-1 steak sauce
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Combine the ingredients in a heavy saucepan and gradually bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Reduce the heat slightly to obtain a gentle simmer.
- Simmer the sauce until reduced by 1/4, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Transfer the sauce to clean jars and let cool to room temperature, then refrigerate until serving. The sauce will keep for several months, refrigerated. Use as you would any sauce, noting the strong affinity this sauce has for chicken, ribs, and pork.
Step 3: Fertilize Azaleas or Gardenias
Watering azaleas or gardenias with Coca-Cola increases the the acidity in the soil, which azaleas love, and boosts plant performance. The sugar in the Coke feeds microorganisms in the soil, increasing the organic matter in the soil.
Step 4: Clean Milk Stains From Clothes
- Saturate the milk stains with a can of Coca-Cola.
- Let the garment sit for about five minutes.
- Launder in your regular wash.
Step 5: Clean Eyeglasses
- Pour Coca-Cola over the eyeglasses.
- Rinse clean with water.
- Dry well.
Step 6: Tenderize Beef
- Place the meat in a freezer bag.
- Pour a can of Coca-Cola into the bag.
- Seal the bag securely.
- Let it marinate for two to three hours.
Step 7: Loosen Rusty Nuts and Bolts
Apply a cloth soaked in Coca-Cola to the rusted bolt for several minutes.
Step 8: Neutralize Skunk Odor
- Pour four two-liter bottles of Coca-Cola into a bucket.
- Sponge yourself down in a shower.
- Rinse clean.
Step 9: Soothe a Jellyfish Sting
Pouring Coca-Cola over a jellyfish sting relieves the stinging pain.